Iran unveils new indigenous fighter jet
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Saturday unveiled a new indigenous fighter jet, media reports said.
Iran`s advancement in military sector does not aim at "expansionism and violating others` rights", however, it will be utilized for "defensive and deterrence" purposes, Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying by semi-official ISNA news agency in a ceremony held here.
The advanced fighter jet, named Qaher-313 (Conqueror-313), which has been designed and built by the Iranian experts, can fly at low altitudes, Iranian Defence Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said on the sidelines of the ceremony, according to semi-official Mehr news agency.
The bomber can carry a payload of domestic weapons and ammunition and enjoys low radar-detecting surface, Xinhu quoted Vahidi as saying.
Another feature of this fighter is "advanced unique hydroelectric system", said Vahidi.
The new single-seat bomber has the ability to track down enemy aircraft, engage in combat and target locations on the ground.
Qaher 313 is the third generation of Iranian fighter jets built by Iranian defense ministry since the victory of Islamic revolution in 1979.
Azarakhsh (Lightning) is Iran`s first indigenously-manufactured combat jet which was delivered to Iran Air Force in 2007.
Saeqeh (Thunderbolt) fighter jet is a follow-up aircraft, derived from the Azarakhsh. Iran unveiled its first squadron of Saeqeh fighter-bombers in an air show in September 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan