Iran unveils upgraded short-range missile
Tehran: Iran`s President on Tuesday unveiled an upgraded version of a short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile just weeks after it was test-fired, the country`s state-media reported.
The missile reflects Iran`s improved military capabilities aimed at "defence" and "deterrence," Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told a group of defence officials at the ceremony presenting Fateh-110, or Conqueror, according to state TV.
Iran considers both the United States and Israel as potential adversaries. Neither country has ruled out a military strike against Iran`s nuclear program, which they claim is aimed at developing nuclear weapons. Iran says its program is for peaceful purposes.
The official IRNA news agency in a report today said the new version of Fateh-110 has a quicker launch capability, a longer life and can be used in adverse weather conditions but gave no other details. The missile has been in service in Iran over the past decade.
Iran claimed earlier in August that it successfully test-fired the missile, saying at the time that Fateh-110 has an improved accuracy to strike land and naval targets within a 300 kilometre range.
Since 1992, Iran has tried to set up a self-sufficient military program.
The country`s military leaders have said they believe future wars will be air- and sea-based and Tehran has sought to upgrade its air defence systems and naval power in anticipation of such a possibility.
Iran has also been pushing to upgrade its missiles, which already can target Israel and US bases in the Middle East.
The Pentagon released a report in June noting significant advances in Iranian missile technology, acknowledging that the Islamic Republic has improved the accuracy and firing capabilities of its missiles.
At the ceremony marking the national day of Iran`s defence industry, Ahmadinejad also unveiled several other latest Iranian-made weapons, such as a naval diesel engine, a mortar launcher, a monitoring military intelligence system and tactical Suva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured