Iran urges peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis, calls for talks
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi called for a peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis and renewed Iran``s call for the Syrian government and opposition to hold talks, the semi-official Fars news agency reported on Wednesday.
"The Syrian conflict must be solved through negotiations," Salehi said Tuesday, adding that "Sabotage and terror as well as slaughter of people must be brought to an end."
"We call on those Syrian opposition groups that are opposed to terrorist attacks and bloodshed to travel to Tehran and engage in negotiations with Syrian authorities," he was quoted as saying.
The Iranian foreign minister also said that numerous efforts are underway by certain Western states to further complicate the situation in Syria, according to the report.
Earlier this month, Salehi said Tehran was ready to hold talks with the Syrian opposition groups in order to promote dialogues between and the Syrian government and opposition.
He emphasized that exploring a solution to the Syrian crisis is of great importance, and expressed hope that the Syrian issue would be resolved through cooperation among the regional states.
Iran, a close ally of Syria, said it strongly opposes to any form of foreign intervention in Syria, but called on the Syrian government to listen to its people``s demands and carry out reforms.
In the past months, some Western countries accused Tehran of supplying Damascus weapons used to crack down on the opposition, a charge denied by Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India