Iran urges peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis, calls for talks
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi called for a peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis and renewed Iran``s call for the Syrian government and opposition to hold talks, the semi-official Fars news agency reported on Wednesday.
"The Syrian conflict must be solved through negotiations," Salehi said Tuesday, adding that "Sabotage and terror as well as slaughter of people must be brought to an end."
"We call on those Syrian opposition groups that are opposed to terrorist attacks and bloodshed to travel to Tehran and engage in negotiations with Syrian authorities," he was quoted as saying.
The Iranian foreign minister also said that numerous efforts are underway by certain Western states to further complicate the situation in Syria, according to the report.
Earlier this month, Salehi said Tehran was ready to hold talks with the Syrian opposition groups in order to promote dialogues between and the Syrian government and opposition.
He emphasized that exploring a solution to the Syrian crisis is of great importance, and expressed hope that the Syrian issue would be resolved through cooperation among the regional states.
Iran, a close ally of Syria, said it strongly opposes to any form of foreign intervention in Syria, but called on the Syrian government to listen to its people``s demands and carry out reforms.
In the past months, some Western countries accused Tehran of supplying Damascus weapons used to crack down on the opposition, a charge denied by Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender