Iran urges peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis, calls for talks
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi called for a peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis and renewed Iran``s call for the Syrian government and opposition to hold talks, the semi-official Fars news agency reported on Wednesday.
"The Syrian conflict must be solved through negotiations," Salehi said Tuesday, adding that "Sabotage and terror as well as slaughter of people must be brought to an end."
"We call on those Syrian opposition groups that are opposed to terrorist attacks and bloodshed to travel to Tehran and engage in negotiations with Syrian authorities," he was quoted as saying.
The Iranian foreign minister also said that numerous efforts are underway by certain Western states to further complicate the situation in Syria, according to the report.
Earlier this month, Salehi said Tehran was ready to hold talks with the Syrian opposition groups in order to promote dialogues between and the Syrian government and opposition.
He emphasized that exploring a solution to the Syrian crisis is of great importance, and expressed hope that the Syrian issue would be resolved through cooperation among the regional states.
Iran, a close ally of Syria, said it strongly opposes to any form of foreign intervention in Syria, but called on the Syrian government to listen to its people``s demands and carry out reforms.
In the past months, some Western countries accused Tehran of supplying Damascus weapons used to crack down on the opposition, a charge denied by Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4
- Flood situation worsens in Assam; Uttarakhand experiences intermittent rain
- Katrina Kaif JOKES about her actual thought behind 'Kala Chashma'—READ inside!
- Two women assaulted at Madhya Pradesh railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram