Iran urges peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis, calls for talks
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi called for a peaceful settlement of Syrian crisis and renewed Iran``s call for the Syrian government and opposition to hold talks, the semi-official Fars news agency reported on Wednesday.
"The Syrian conflict must be solved through negotiations," Salehi said Tuesday, adding that "Sabotage and terror as well as slaughter of people must be brought to an end."
"We call on those Syrian opposition groups that are opposed to terrorist attacks and bloodshed to travel to Tehran and engage in negotiations with Syrian authorities," he was quoted as saying.
The Iranian foreign minister also said that numerous efforts are underway by certain Western states to further complicate the situation in Syria, according to the report.
Earlier this month, Salehi said Tehran was ready to hold talks with the Syrian opposition groups in order to promote dialogues between and the Syrian government and opposition.
He emphasized that exploring a solution to the Syrian crisis is of great importance, and expressed hope that the Syrian issue would be resolved through cooperation among the regional states.
Iran, a close ally of Syria, said it strongly opposes to any form of foreign intervention in Syria, but called on the Syrian government to listen to its people``s demands and carry out reforms.
In the past months, some Western countries accused Tehran of supplying Damascus weapons used to crack down on the opposition, a charge denied by Tehran.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!