Iran vows to `confront` new EU sanctions
Tehran: Iranian Central Bank governor Mahmoud Bahmani has announced that Tehran has plans to deal with a new EU embargo on the country`s oil sector.
Bahmani’s comments were carried by Iran’s semi-official Mehr news agency on Sunday.
He also said that Iran has enough hard currency to meet its import needs.
Notably, the sanctions are aimed at pressurising Tehran over its controversial nuclear program.
Earlier this week, the EU said that all contracts for importing Iranian oil will have to be terminated from Sunday. Also, European companies will no longer be involved in insuring Iranian oil.
The measures come on top of previous sanctions levied by the US and the West that have already hit Iran`s economy. US officials say the American sanctions have cut exports of Iranian crude from about 2.5 million barrels a day last year to between 1.2 and 1.8 million barrels now.
"We have not remained passive. For confronting the sanctions, we have plans in progress," he said.
On Saturday, Bahmani said Iran is "easily" selling its oil despite all current and future sanctions because some countries have received waivers from the US to import some Iranian oil despite the punitive measures.
The State Department has announced that China, India, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey and Taiwan have been given waivers from the US in exchange for "significantly reducing" oil imports.
The US and EU measures are intended to pressure Iran over fears that it is developing nuclear weapons. Iran denies the charges.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?