`Iran vows to take action if US attacks Syria`
Dubai: In a bid to show his country’s steadfast support to ally Syria, an Iranian military official has said that Tehran would take action if the United States were to attack Syria.
The comments by Mohammad Ali Assoudi, the deputy for culture and propaganda of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), disappeared from the government-linked news agency Young Journalists` Club website later Saturday.
"If America were to attack Syria, Iran along with Syria`s allies will take action, which would amount to a fiasco for America," Assoudi was quoted as saying.
He, however, refrained from specifying exactly what steps Iran would take, but said Syria`s allies would implement their joint military pact in the case of a US attack.
"In the case of American stupidity and a military attack by this country on Syria, the joint military pact of Syria`s allies would be implemented," Assoudi said.
On Friday, Iran`s supreme leader said that developing nations have a greater right than the US or NATO to intervene in Syria, signalling an effort to lead a diplomatic push over efforts to resolve the crisis.
Tehran has faced an uphill challenge in garnering support for Syrian President Bashar Assad. Some in the organisation — particularly Sunni Muslim majority nations — are more sympathetic with the rebels, if not outright backing them.
Iran, Syria`s key remaining ally in the Middle East, has provided Assad`s government with military and political backing for years, and has kept up its strong support for the regime since the uprising began in March 2011. Syrian activists say at least 20,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
Tehran has urged Damascus to listen to the Syrian people`s "legitimate demands" but has strongly opposed shipment of weapons to the rebels.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place