Iran wants banks in Muslim countries to avert sanctions: US
Washington: The United States said on Thursday that Iran is trying to establish banks in Muslim countries to circumvent sanctions aimed at curbing its nuclear ambitions.
"It`s not a surprise, frankly, we`ve seen them try to do this before," Mark Toner, a State Department spokesman, told reporters when asked to confirm a report in the Washington Post.
"I know they are attempting to," Toner added.
"In fact, it`s something that`s a topic of discussions with our allies and partners in the region and around the world, frankly. And to us it`s an indication, frankly, that the sanctions are having some effect," Toner said.
He added that US conversations with allies and partners were aimed at trying "to make them aware of this situation”.
He gave no details, but the Washington Post quoted US officials as saying that Iran was trying to set up banks in various Muslim countries, including Iraq and Malaysia.
It said they were using dummy names and opaque ownership structures to avoid sanctions.
The UN Security Council imposed a fourth round of sanctions in June in a bid to force Iran to comply with international calls to stop its uranium enrichment program.
The US, the European Union, Japan, Canada and Australia imposed further unilateral sanctions.
The West fears Iran is secretly trying to build a nuclear bomb. Iran denies the charge, saying its intentions are entirely peaceful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened