Iran wants `Israel`s destruction`: Netanyahu
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned anew on Sunday of a nuclear-powered Iran at the annual Holocaust memorial for the victims of the Nazi genocide, saying Tehran wants "our destruction".
"Iran is calling for our destruction, it is building underground bunkers to enrich uranium, producing heavy water for plutonium, acquiring intercontinental missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads that threaten the entire world," Netanyahu said.
In November, Iran clinched a deal with world powers under which it froze some nuclear activities in return for limited relief from crippling Western sanctions.
Since then it has been engaged in negotiations with the P5+1 -- Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States, plus Germany -- aimed at reaching a lasting accord on its nuclear ambitions.
Israel, which is widely believed to be the only nuclear-armed state in the region, had denounced the November agreement and repeatedly voiced concern over the ongoing talks between Iran and world powers.
Speaking at the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial, Netanyahu urged world powers "not to give in for the sake of avoiding, at all costs, a confrontation" with Tehran.
Netanyahu, whose government has not ruled out military action to prevent Iran from acquiring an atomic bomb, said the international community must demand Tehran "dismantle totally its capacity to produce nuclear weapons."
Israel and the West have long suspected Iran of covertly pursuing a nuclear weapons capability alongside its civilian programme -- something strongly denied by Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores