Iran wants talks, under spectre of possible war
Tehran: Iran is to host a high-level team
from the UN nuclear watchdog on Monday as part of efforts to
defuse dire international tensions over its atomic activities
But other words being spoken in Israel, the United States
and Britain -- and Iran`s defiant moves to boost its nuclear
activities -- underlined the prospect of possible Israeli
military action against the Islamic republic.
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi on Sunday said his
country was keen to quickly resume mooted talks with world
powers, once a place and date were agreed.
The last talks collapsed in Istanbul in January 2011, but
Iran has responded positively to an EU offer to look at
"We are looking for a mechanism for a solution for the
nuclear issue in a way that it is win-win for both sides,"
But he added that Iran remained prepared for a "worst-case
Such a scenario -- war -- remained very much the subtext
of a visit to Israel today by US National Security Advisor Tom
Israel has been gripped by feverish speculation in recent
weeks that it is closer to mounting a pre-emptive strike on
Iran`s nuclear programme, though Tel Aviv has denied reaching
such a decision.
Israel`s calculations will have taken into account an
announcement by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad last
Tuesday that his scientists were boosting uranium enrichment,
notably by adding 3,000 more centrifuges to a facility at
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh arrives in violence-hit Kashmir, holds meeting with civil society members
- Premier League 2016-17: Liverpool seal big-money deal for Georginio Wijnaldum
- PM Narendra Modi condemns Munich attack
- When Aditya Chopra told Ranveer Singh to act like himself
- Shah Rukh Khan terms himself struggling writer, pens poem inspired from Zayn Malik