Iran warns against foreign military intervention in Syria
Tehran: Iranian Defence Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi Saturday warned against military intervention by foreign forces in Syria, the ISNA news agency reported.
If the foreign forces enter Syria, "for sure, there will be a big crisis in the region and definitely the losers of the (potential) crisis will be the Westerners and the supporters of the Zionist regime (of Israel)", Vahidi was quoted as saying by Xinhua.
The minister stressed that Iran has no military forces in Syria, and that the Syrian government has not asked Tehran to do so.
He said Syria has a powerful military and enjoys public support, and therefore Syrians themselves can deal with the foreigners` "adventurism" in their own country.
The Syrian conflict has claimed 14,000-20,000 lives since March 2011, according to estimates by Syrian opposition groups and the UN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you