Iran warns crackdown against new opposition rallies
Tehran: Iran on Saturday warned of a crackdown if
opposition supporters stage new rallies which they have called
to mourn the deaths of two victims of recent unrest and to
show support to their leaders.
Websites of opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and
Mehdi Karroubi have posted calls by their supporters to stage
nationwide rallies tomorrow.
"We will confront them as per the law," Iran`s Interior
Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar was quoted as saying on state
news agency IRNA when asked about tomorrow`s expected rallies.
"The agents of sedition and sedition leaders, who staged
illegal rallies" on February 14 with the help of "monafeghin
(hypocrites), monarchists, rascals and thugs, should know that
the interior ministry will confront" them, Najjar added.
Kaleme.com and Sahamnews.org posted calls for tomorrow
gatherings to mourn the deaths of Sane`e Zhale, a Sunni Kurd,
and Mohammad Mokhtari, a Shiite, who were slain on Monday in
clashes with security forces.
The fatal confrontation erupted when opposition
supporters took to Tehran streets protesting against the
The so-called Council for Coordination of the Green
Movement Hope, which posted the call, said the rallies
tomorrow will also show "decisive support" to the stance taken
by Mousavi and Karroubi in "continuing on the difficult path
of freedom and human dignity."
Mousavi and Karroubi have steadfastly refused to
acknowledge the presidency of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and their
rebellion has triggered one of the worst crises in the history
of the Islamic republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!