Iran warns Google over changing Persian Gulf`s name
Tehran: Iran on Thursday warned the US-based Google company of legal action over using "alternative words" for the Persian Gulf on its online map service, a media report said.
Google recently dropped the name of the Persian Gulf from the body of water separating Iran from the Arabian Peninsula, and left it nameless on its online map service.
"Toying with modern technologies in political issues is among the new measures adopted by the enemies against Iran, (and) in this regard, Google has been treated as a plaything," Xinhua quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast as saying.
He cautioned the company against sustaining serious damage if it avoids "the proper" use of the name "Persian Gulf".
"Omitting the name Persian Gulf is (like) playing with the feelings and realities of the Iranian nation," the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- US gives proof of Pakistan's hand in Pathankot strike
- 3rd ODI: After contributing with bat, Ben Stokes eager to bowl against Pakistan
- Foreigners should not wear skirts and roam alone at night: Tourism minister
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor Khan spills glamour at Lakme Fashion Week 2016! – View pics
- Most Asian markets slump, Tokyo soars on US rate talk