`Iran was involved in Israeli car blast in Delhi`
Tehran: Iran was involved in bomb plots targeting Israeli diplomats in India, Thailand and Georgia in February, according to a report.
In India, local agencies told ministers a bomb attack which badly injured the wife of the Israeli military attaché in New Delhi in February was the work of an Iranian ‘security entity’.
Their conclusions have not previously been made public and Indian officials avoided blaming Tehran, an ally and a key oil supplier.
The governments of Georgia and Thailand, which both uncovered bomb plots on the day of the Delhi attack, have also not officially blamed Iran.
European intelligence officials said that they now found it difficult to judge Tehran`s ‘risk calculus’.
“Until recently it was possible to see why they were doing what they have been doing,” The Guardian quoted an intelligence official, as saying.
“Now it has become very unpredictable. It`s very hard to see the logic behind (the February bombings), other than perhaps demonstrate an ability to cause problems in the event of war or a desire for revenge of some kind,” the official added.
Police evidence, witness statements and court documents seen by the Guardian, plus interviews with local and international law enforcement and security officials, suggested that the attempted triple-bombing on 13 and 14 February was conducted by a well co-ordinated network of about a dozen Iranians and prepared over at least 10 months.
According to the paper, the evidence includes the identification of at least 10 Iranians allegedly involved in the plots, money transfers to key individuals from Iran, the use of Iranian phone connections and the flight following the attacks of conspirators to Iran.
Meanwhile, talks on Iran`s nuclear aspirations resume in Moscow on Monday, and western intelligence officials have warned that the price of failure could be high.
According to the paper, with Israel refusing to rule out military action if diplomacy fails, intelligence officials fear the volley of attacks carried out by Iranian operatives show Tehran is capable of an asymmetric response.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali