‘Iran will do anything to support Assad’s regime’
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said that even as America would send another batch of financial aid to Syrian rebels, the main concerning fact would remain that ‘Iran would do whatever it takes to protect its proxy and crony’ in Syria.
“Let’s be very frank here. The (Bashar al-Assad) regime’s most important lifeline is Iran. There is no longer any doubt that Tehran will do whatever it takes to protect its proxy and crony in Damascus,” the Christian Science Monitor quoted Hillary, as saying.
According to the report, Hillary unveiled the new aid package of 15 million dollars in communications equipment to enhance cooperation among Syria’s opposition players at a New York meeting of countries, and also used the occasion to call attention to the threat Iran poses with its deepening involvement in the Syrian civil war.
She urged Syria’s neighbors to take the necessary precautions to stop Iran from smuggling weapons and material into Syria through their air space or territory, the report said.
Hillary also announced 30 million dollars in additional humanitarian aid for Syria’s beleaguered civilian population. Experts estimate that as many as 1.5 million Syrians may now be internally displaced, while soon as many as 700,000 will have left the country, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt