`Iran will increase uranium enrichment if...`
Moscow: Iran will start enriching uranium to 56-percent level if Israel and the West keep on pressurising Tehran with sanctions, Iranian religious leader Seyed Reza Taghavi said.
"Currently, Tehran produces 20-percent-enriched uranium but we will transform it to 56-percent-enriched uranium if Western countries continue their hostile viewpoint against Iran," Kabir News quoted Taghavi as saying.
"All restrictions and sanctions are because of the great power of the Islamic Republic," he said.
Uranium enrichment is a central issue in Iran`s controversial nuclear programme. Currently, Tehran possesses 20-percent-enriched uranium which can be turned into 90-percent highly-enriched, enough for producing a nuclear bomb.
Taghavi also warned that "if Israel makes any mistake", Iran "will target the heart of Tel Aviv directly from Tehran".
"Iran will not bow in front of the massive sanctions from Western countries," he said.
Western nations claim Iran`s nuclear energy research is a cover for atomic weapons production, which Tehran has consistently denied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren