`Iran will never give up nuclear right`
Vienna: The new Iranian envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency on Thursday said that Iran would never give up its nuclear right under the non-proliferation treaty but was ready to remove ambiguity over its disputed nuclear plans.
"Iran is ready to faithfully engage and remove any ambiguity on its nuclear activities," Reza Najafi, Iranian ambassador to the IAEA, said in his first speech at the UN nuclear watchdog`s closed-door board meeting, Xinhua reported.
He said Tehran was ready to cooperate with the agency constructively on the nuclear issue.
Fresh rounds of talks between Iran and the IAEA are scheduled for Sep 27 here. Ten rounds of previous talks have failed to make substantial progress in the past two years.
Najafi reiterated Iran would never compromise on its "inalienable right to develop nuclear programme".
Iranian President Hassan Rohani appointed Najafi to replace Ali Asghar Soltanieh, whose relation with the IAEA was seen as a source of tension by the agency.
Najafi`s appointment is seen by the West as a sign that Iran`s moderate president seeks a diplomatic resolution to the decade-long nuclear dispute.
Western states have long accused Iran of developing nuclear weapons under the cover of Tehran`s nuclear power plans, an allegation Iran strongly denies and has repeatedly dismissed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Seven hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here