Iran, world powers Nuke meet makes no headway
Moscow: The meeting between Iran and six world powers - The United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany – seems to be making little progress as the first round of two-day talks began on Monday. The meeting is being held to end Tehran’s nuclear programme and looming threat of a war in Middle East.
As part of the discussion, Iran insisted on removal of sanctions that are choking off its oil sales before curbing activities for making nuclear weapons and asked for “comprehensive sanction relief”.
The talks between Iran and six nations have been inconclusive so far with neither side drawing close to an agreement.
Even before the talks began, Iran claimed that progress would be possible only if its right to enrich uranium was acknowledged. Iran further said that the uranium would be used for peaceful purposes only but can be used as material for making weapons as well.
The six want Iran to curb nuclear enrichment, which can be used to make both reactor fuel and arm nuclear warheads. Iran says it has a right to enrich and denies Western accusations that it is doing so to be able to make such weapons.
Previous talks stalled as each side waited for the other to make the first move. Iran wants sanctions lifted or postponed, but the six powers rule that out until Iran complies with their demands.
On Sunday, a senior Iranian lawmaker urged Western countries to recognise the Islamic Republic`s "inalienable" nuclear rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Mercury rises, rains likely later in the day
- ONGC saddled with Rs 392 cr additional royalty, Rs 1,100 cr burden on Oil India
- Vote Trump for equal pay and childcare, says Ivanka
- North Korean Air Koryo plane makes emergency landing in China - Xinhua
- A carnival of contrasting views near Cleveland''s Republican convention