Iranian anti-govt blogger ‘tortured to dead’
Wellington: An Iranian man, who received death threats for writing anti-government blogs, could have been tortured to dead while he was in police custody, it has emerged.
Amnesty International and European governments have urged Tehran to investigate the death of Sattar Beheshti, 35, who was arrested on October 28.
His body was handed back to his family on Wednesday, Stuff.co.nz reports.
“Fears that Sattar Beheshti died as a result of torture in an Iranian detention facility, after apparently lodging a complaint about torture are very plausible, given Iran`s track record when it comes to deaths in custody,” Amnesty said.
According to the report, the day before his arrest, Beheshti said he had been threatened.
"They sent me a message saying, ``Tell your mother she will soon be wearing black because you don``t shut your big mouth``,” Amnesty quoted him as saying.
According to the report, France and Britain have also called on Tehran to investigate the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Security at Olympics "robust", says IOC chief
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS