Iranian anti-govt blogger ‘tortured to dead’
Wellington: An Iranian man, who received death threats for writing anti-government blogs, could have been tortured to dead while he was in police custody, it has emerged.
Amnesty International and European governments have urged Tehran to investigate the death of Sattar Beheshti, 35, who was arrested on October 28.
His body was handed back to his family on Wednesday, Stuff.co.nz reports.
“Fears that Sattar Beheshti died as a result of torture in an Iranian detention facility, after apparently lodging a complaint about torture are very plausible, given Iran`s track record when it comes to deaths in custody,” Amnesty said.
According to the report, the day before his arrest, Beheshti said he had been threatened.
"They sent me a message saying, ``Tell your mother she will soon be wearing black because you don``t shut your big mouth``,” Amnesty quoted him as saying.
According to the report, France and Britain have also called on Tehran to investigate the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL