Iranian anti-govt blogger ‘tortured to dead’
Wellington: An Iranian man, who received death threats for writing anti-government blogs, could have been tortured to dead while he was in police custody, it has emerged.
Amnesty International and European governments have urged Tehran to investigate the death of Sattar Beheshti, 35, who was arrested on October 28.
His body was handed back to his family on Wednesday, Stuff.co.nz reports.
“Fears that Sattar Beheshti died as a result of torture in an Iranian detention facility, after apparently lodging a complaint about torture are very plausible, given Iran`s track record when it comes to deaths in custody,” Amnesty said.
According to the report, the day before his arrest, Beheshti said he had been threatened.
"They sent me a message saying, ``Tell your mother she will soon be wearing black because you don``t shut your big mouth``,” Amnesty quoted him as saying.
According to the report, France and Britain have also called on Tehran to investigate the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says