Iranian authorities cut off hand of thief
Tehran: Iran`s state radio is reporting that authorities have amputated the hand of a convicted thief in front of other prisoners in the central city of Yazd.
The report did not identify the 32-year-old convict by name or provide details on his crime.
Iran`s judiciary uses a strict interpretation of Islamic law in handing down such sentences. Cutting off the hands of thieves has been rare in Iran in the past, but Sunday`s amputation was the second this month. And a week ago, a judge ordered the same punishment for a man who stole from a candy shop.
Critics say amputations and public executions and floggings hurt Iran`s image and reflect badly on Islam.
A death-by-stoning sentence for a woman convicted of adultery has also sparked an international outcry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city