Iranian authorities cut off hand of thief
Tehran: Iran`s state radio is reporting that authorities have amputated the hand of a convicted thief in front of other prisoners in the central city of Yazd.
The report did not identify the 32-year-old convict by name or provide details on his crime.
Iran`s judiciary uses a strict interpretation of Islamic law in handing down such sentences. Cutting off the hands of thieves has been rare in Iran in the past, but Sunday`s amputation was the second this month. And a week ago, a judge ordered the same punishment for a man who stole from a candy shop.
Critics say amputations and public executions and floggings hurt Iran`s image and reflect badly on Islam.
A death-by-stoning sentence for a woman convicted of adultery has also sparked an international outcry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured