Iranian authorities cut off hand of thief
Tehran: Iran`s state radio is reporting that authorities have amputated the hand of a convicted thief in front of other prisoners in the central city of Yazd.
The report did not identify the 32-year-old convict by name or provide details on his crime.
Iran`s judiciary uses a strict interpretation of Islamic law in handing down such sentences. Cutting off the hands of thieves has been rare in Iran in the past, but Sunday`s amputation was the second this month. And a week ago, a judge ordered the same punishment for a man who stole from a candy shop.
Critics say amputations and public executions and floggings hurt Iran`s image and reflect badly on Islam.
A death-by-stoning sentence for a woman convicted of adultery has also sparked an international outcry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!