Iranian Christian pastor accused of ‘apostasy’ re-arrested
Washington: An Iranian Christian pastor, who was imprisoned in Iran for converting from Islam to Christianity, has been taken into custody again, media sources and people close to the pastor and his family, have said.
Youcef Nadarkhani, 35, had been summoned to return back to Lakan Prison in Rasht, the facility where he served time and was then released, based on the charge that he must complete the remainder of his sentence.
In September, the pastor was acquitted of apostasy, but the court maintained his three-year sentence for evangelising Muslims, Fox News reports.
According to the report, as he had already served close to three years, the pastor was freed after posting bail.
The court had then stated that the remainder, which equalled roughly 45 days, would be served in the form of probation, the report said.
Nadarkhani, married and father of two young children, came under the regime’s radar in 2006 when he applied for his church to be registered with the state, it added.
According to sources, he was arrested at that time and then soon released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS