Iranian cleric wants creation of `Greater Iran`
Tehran (Iran): A radical cleric is pushing for the creation of a "Greater Iran" that would rule over the entire Middle East and Central Asia.
Ayatollah Mohammad Bagher Kharrazi says advocating creation of what he calls an Islamic United States is a central aim of the political party he leads called Hezbollah, or Party of God.
Kharrazi is not particularly influential in Iran`s clerical hierarchy and does not represent the Iranian government. But his comments reveal the thinking of a growing number of hard-liners in Iran, many of whom have become more radical during the postelection political crisis and the international standoff over the country`s nuclear program.
Kharrazi`s comments were published Saturday in his newspaper, Hezbollah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid