Iranian cleric wants creation of `Greater Iran`
Tehran (Iran): A radical cleric is pushing for the creation of a "Greater Iran" that would rule over the entire Middle East and Central Asia.
Ayatollah Mohammad Bagher Kharrazi says advocating creation of what he calls an Islamic United States is a central aim of the political party he leads called Hezbollah, or Party of God.
Kharrazi is not particularly influential in Iran`s clerical hierarchy and does not represent the Iranian government. But his comments reveal the thinking of a growing number of hard-liners in Iran, many of whom have become more radical during the postelection political crisis and the international standoff over the country`s nuclear program.
Kharrazi`s comments were published Saturday in his newspaper, Hezbollah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India