Iranian cleric wants creation of `Greater Iran`
Tehran (Iran): A radical cleric is pushing for the creation of a "Greater Iran" that would rule over the entire Middle East and Central Asia.
Ayatollah Mohammad Bagher Kharrazi says advocating creation of what he calls an Islamic United States is a central aim of the political party he leads called Hezbollah, or Party of God.
Kharrazi is not particularly influential in Iran`s clerical hierarchy and does not represent the Iranian government. But his comments reveal the thinking of a growing number of hard-liners in Iran, many of whom have become more radical during the postelection political crisis and the international standoff over the country`s nuclear program.
Kharrazi`s comments were published Saturday in his newspaper, Hezbollah.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev