Iranian consular official in Finland defects
Paris: A ranking diplomat at the Iranian embassy in Finland said he has quit his job to protest the Islamic Republic`s treatment of its citizens.
Hossein Alizadeh said he had held the No 2 post at the embassy in Helsinki as deputy head of mission. He said he informed the embassy four days ago of his decision to quit after staying off the job for nearly a month.
"I don`t consider myself anymore a diplomat standing beside a brutal Iranian regime," Alizadeh said in a telephone interview yesterday from the Finnish capital.
He said that "I have let the embassy now that I have resigned from my job and ... I`m not anymore a diplomat. I am a political dissident."
Alizadeh said he was considering how to more forward, and so far had not applied for political asylum.
The Iranian embassy in Helsinki did not answer its phone last evening and messages could not be left.
Finland`s Foreign Ministry said it was unaware of Alizadeh`s case.
Alizadeh is the second Iranian diplomat in Europe known to have cast off his job to protest the Iranian government`s policies and crackdown on citizens.
Iranian consular official Mohammed Reza Heydari left his post in Oslo, Norway, in January, and was granted political asylum in that country.
Alizadeh said he has joined no particular movement, "just the general green movement of the Iranian nation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre