Iranian FM, Annan discuss Syrian issue
Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi and UN-Arab League joint envoy Kofi Annan discussed Syrian issue on the phone ahead of the Geneva talks, the semi-official ISNA news agency reported on Saturday.
Salehi outlined Iran`s position on Syrian nation and Bashar al- Assad`s reform plan and appreciated Annan`s efforts.
Salehi expressed hope that the results of the Saturday meeting on Syria in Geneva would help for establishment of peace and security in Syria and in the region.
Iranian Foreign Minister rejected any foreign interference in Syria and terrorist attacks towards Syrian nation and said, "The approach for settlement of Syrian issue is merely political and imposition of demands of other countries on Syrian nation is an illogical issue," said the report.
Annan outlined the latest developments on Geneva talks and stressed Iran`s significant role in resolving Syrian issues.
Annan on Friday appealed to participants in a Saturday meeting on Syria to "act in unison" to end the bloodshed in the Middle East country, pointing to deep involvement by external powers which is contributing to a worsening situation there.
"Many external powers are deeply involved," the former UN chief wrote in an article for The Washington Post, noting "Despite formal unity behind the six-point plan, mutual mistrust has made them work at cross-purposes."
The six-point peace plan devised by Annan has won widespread support but has failed to halt the raging violence and bloodshed in Syria. The envoy blamed the plan``s non-implementation for its failure, and lamented the situation in the Arab nation as one that "could hardly be more grave.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend