Iranian footballers face lashes for bottom pinch
Tehran: Two Iranian footballers are facing 74 lashes for one of them pinching the bottom of another during an "immoral" goal celebration on the pitch.
Footage of the live televised match showed defender Mohammad Nosrati pinching the bottom of Persepolis teammate Sheys Rezaei during a goal celebration against rivals Damash Gilan, Sky News reports.
Rezaei and Nosrati are facing a flogging, possibly on the pitch where the celebration took place, after a judge said they may have violated public chastity laws.
Judge Valiollah Hosseini said that the punishment for violating the chastity law is up to two months in prison and 74 lashes.
"It is even worse to do these actions before the eyes of thousands of spectators and TV cameras," he added.
The YouTube footage of the celebration, which became popular, showed Rezaei hugging another, unidentified teammate to celebrate Persepolis`s winning goal in the final minutes of a 3-2 win.
Rezaei and Nosrati, known as the "Minister of Defence" for his skills on the pitch, have already been banned from football for an "indefinite period" and fined the equivalent of GBP 25,000 for the "immoral" acts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read