Iranian footballers face lashes for bottom pinch
Tehran: Two Iranian footballers are facing 74 lashes for one of them pinching the bottom of another during an "immoral" goal celebration on the pitch.
Footage of the live televised match showed defender Mohammad Nosrati pinching the bottom of Persepolis teammate Sheys Rezaei during a goal celebration against rivals Damash Gilan, Sky News reports.
Rezaei and Nosrati are facing a flogging, possibly on the pitch where the celebration took place, after a judge said they may have violated public chastity laws.
Judge Valiollah Hosseini said that the punishment for violating the chastity law is up to two months in prison and 74 lashes.
"It is even worse to do these actions before the eyes of thousands of spectators and TV cameras," he added.
The YouTube footage of the celebration, which became popular, showed Rezaei hugging another, unidentified teammate to celebrate Persepolis`s winning goal in the final minutes of a 3-2 win.
Rezaei and Nosrati, known as the "Minister of Defence" for his skills on the pitch, have already been banned from football for an "indefinite period" and fined the equivalent of GBP 25,000 for the "immoral" acts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price