Iranian in Malaysia denies Thai terror accusations
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian authorities on Thursday
applied for a court order to extradite to Thailand an Iranian
man suspected of involvement in an alleged bomb plot against
Israeli diplomats in Bangkok.
Masoud Sedaghatzadeh was arrested at Kuala Lumpur`s
international airport on February 15, a day after the alleged
plot was exposed by an apparently unintended blast at a
Bangkok house occupied by three Iranian suspects.
He had arrived in Malaysia the night before on a flight
Sedaghatzadeh denied involvement in the botched Bangkok
bomb case as he appeared before a Kuala Lumpur court for the
"Why am I here? I don`t have anything to do with the
case," he said in Farsi, speaking to the court through an
Malaysia was acting on a Thai extradition request, said
Kamal Baharin Omar, head of extraditions with the
A decision may be weeks away and the government has asked
for a month delay until the next hearing, saying it was
awaiting further evidence from Thai authorities backing the
The next hearing was set for April 16.
Sedaghatzadeh`s lawyer, Mohamad Nashir Hussin, said the
application was invalid as there was no extradition treaty
between the two neighbours and the government based its
request on an "old" 1911 treaty that he said was outdated.
But Kamal said the Thai request was valid.
Sedaghatzadeh is one of three Iranian men detained in a
case that saw tensions spike between arch-foes Iran and Israel
following earlier bomb attacks targeting Israeli embassy staff
in India and Georgia.
Israel has accused Iran of orchestrating a terror
campaign, a charge angrily denied by Tehran.
One of the Bangkok suspects had his legs blown off as he
hurled an explosive device at police while fleeing the blast
in the Thai capital.
Sedaghatzadeh has said he is a car parts dealer who came
to Malaysia on business, while his lawyer said his client had
visited Thailand for a "short holiday."
He was seeking transit to Iran when he was arrested,
Malaysian authorities have said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February