Iranian in Malaysia denies Thai terror accusations
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian authorities on Thursday
applied for a court order to extradite to Thailand an Iranian
man suspected of involvement in an alleged bomb plot against
Israeli diplomats in Bangkok.
Masoud Sedaghatzadeh was arrested at Kuala Lumpur`s
international airport on February 15, a day after the alleged
plot was exposed by an apparently unintended blast at a
Bangkok house occupied by three Iranian suspects.
He had arrived in Malaysia the night before on a flight
Sedaghatzadeh denied involvement in the botched Bangkok
bomb case as he appeared before a Kuala Lumpur court for the
"Why am I here? I don`t have anything to do with the
case," he said in Farsi, speaking to the court through an
Malaysia was acting on a Thai extradition request, said
Kamal Baharin Omar, head of extraditions with the
A decision may be weeks away and the government has asked
for a month delay until the next hearing, saying it was
awaiting further evidence from Thai authorities backing the
The next hearing was set for April 16.
Sedaghatzadeh`s lawyer, Mohamad Nashir Hussin, said the
application was invalid as there was no extradition treaty
between the two neighbours and the government based its
request on an "old" 1911 treaty that he said was outdated.
But Kamal said the Thai request was valid.
Sedaghatzadeh is one of three Iranian men detained in a
case that saw tensions spike between arch-foes Iran and Israel
following earlier bomb attacks targeting Israeli embassy staff
in India and Georgia.
Israel has accused Iran of orchestrating a terror
campaign, a charge angrily denied by Tehran.
One of the Bangkok suspects had his legs blown off as he
hurled an explosive device at police while fleeing the blast
in the Thai capital.
Sedaghatzadeh has said he is a car parts dealer who came
to Malaysia on business, while his lawyer said his client had
visited Thailand for a "short holiday."
He was seeking transit to Iran when he was arrested,
Malaysian authorities have said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...