Iranian journalist Akbar Ganji named `press freedom hero`
Vienna: The International Press
Institute today named Iranian journalist and dissident Akbar
Ganji as its 59th "World Press Freedom Hero" in honour of his
defence of freedom of speech and equal rights.
Ganji, 50, spent six years in Iran`s infamous Evin
prison for articles that accused high-level political figures
and clerics of involvement in the assassinations of
intellectuals and dissidents, IPI said in a statement.
Despite the brutal conditions, he continued to
write, outlining steps by which Iran could achieve a secular
democracy and emphasising respect for human rights and an
independent press and judiciary.
He was released in 2006 and left Iran but continued
to campaign for freedom and liberty for his country, the
"His courage in the face of intimidation and his
continued fight for truth and justice should serve as an
inspiration to all of us," IPI interim director Alison Bethel
"His struggle is especially relevant now, in light
of the continued persecution of political prisoners in Iran."
The Vienna-based network that works to defend press
freedom will present the award at its September congress where
it will honour 60 "World Press Freedom Heroes" to mark its
It has chosen seven other "heroes" this year,
including May Chidiac from Lebanon and South Africa`s late
anti-apartheid editor Laurence Gandar.
The 60th "hero" is to be named next month.
Others include assassinated Russian journalist Anna
Politkovskaya whom IPI honoured in 2006, two months after she
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM