Iranian lawmakers to impeach economy minister
Tehran: Iranian lawmakers have signed a motion to impeach the country`s Economy Minister Shamseddin Hosseini for swindling banks of nearly $2.6 billion, the official media reported.
Hosseini has allegedly cheated several Iranian banks in over two years through the Amir Mansour Aria company. It is said to be one of the biggest frauds in the country.
The motion was expected to be submitted to the Majlis (parliament) Tuesday. So far, 25 lawmakers have signed the motion, Xinhua reported quoting the Mehr news agency.
As per Iran`s constitution, he will have to appear in parliament to answer lawmakers` questions within 10 days after the Majlis Presiding Board announces receipt of the motion.
Lawmakers, who are seeking Hosseini`s removal, have blamed him for his incompetence in the management of the country`s economic and banking affairs, MP Nader Qazipour said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city