Iranian lawmakers to impeach economy minister
Tehran: Iranian lawmakers have signed a motion to impeach the country`s Economy Minister Shamseddin Hosseini for swindling banks of nearly $2.6 billion, the official media reported.
Hosseini has allegedly cheated several Iranian banks in over two years through the Amir Mansour Aria company. It is said to be one of the biggest frauds in the country.
The motion was expected to be submitted to the Majlis (parliament) Tuesday. So far, 25 lawmakers have signed the motion, Xinhua reported quoting the Mehr news agency.
As per Iran`s constitution, he will have to appear in parliament to answer lawmakers` questions within 10 days after the Majlis Presiding Board announces receipt of the motion.
Lawmakers, who are seeking Hosseini`s removal, have blamed him for his incompetence in the management of the country`s economic and banking affairs, MP Nader Qazipour said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?