Iranian leader tours US foes in Latin America
Caracas: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, facing new sanctions over his nation`s suspect nuclear programme, on Monday arrived in Venezuela to start a five-day tour aimed at shoring up ties in Latin America.
The Iranian leader was welcomed with military honours at the international airport in Caracas, according to images broadcast on state television network VTV.
Ahmadinejad will meet fellow US foe and firebrand Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez during a four-nation trip that coincides with rising global alarm over Tehran`s reputed attempts to build an atomic weapon -- a charge Tehran denies.
Chavez said yesterday he hoped the Iranian leader would "rest a bit tonight and then tomorrow we will work all day reviewing cooperation agreements."
"We are not a threat to anyone. We have sovereign rights," the Venezuelan leader said on his Sunday radio and television program, in an implicit jab at the United States`s stated concerns about Iran and Venezuela.
The remarks came in Chavez`s first such weekly broadcast since he was diagnosed with cancer last year, which he later said was successfully treated.
Ahmadinejad`s talks with Chavez will be followed tomorrow with a trip to Nicaragua to attend the inauguration of its recently re-elected leader Daniel Ortega. Stops in Cuba and Ecuador will round off the tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?