Iranian Navy detains UAE fishermen: Report
Tehran: Iran`s state TV says the country`s Navy has detained 13 fishermen from two United Arab Emirates vessels after they trespassed into what the report said were Iranian territorial waters.
Thursday`s report by Iran`s English-language Press TV quotes Colonel Ali Vesali, base commander on Abu Musa Island, as saying 12 of the fishermen were Emirati and one was Indian.
He said Iranian forces seized the fishermen`s two vessels as well. The report did not say when the arrests took place, or give an exact location.
Iran has controlled Abu Musa Island in the mouth of the Persian Gulf since 1971. The UAE disputes Iran`s ownership.
Iran and its Arab neighbours in the Persian Gulf periodically detain each other`s fishing vessels for having allegedly entered into their territorial waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'