Iranian Navy saves US vessel from pirates
Tehran: Iranian naval forces have rescued an American commercial vessel that was attacked by several pirate boats near the Gulf of Aden, a TV channel reported on Thursday.
The Public Affairs Office of the Navy said in a statement Thursday that after receiving a distress signal from the American vessel, a naval fleet of the Iranian Navy, which was on a patrol mission in the area, sailed towards the US ship.
The pirate boats fled the area immediately as they spotted the approaching Iranian naval forces.
The crew of the US ship thanked the Iranian naval fleet for its timely response to their request for help, the report said.
The American vessel then continued safely on its journey toward its intended destination, the statement said.
In line with international efforts against piracy, Iran`s Navy has been conducting anti-piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden since November 2008.
The Gulf of Aden, which links the Indian Ocean with the Suez Canal and the Mediterranean Sea, is the quickest route for more than 20,000 vessels travelling annually between Asia, Europe and America.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian captain to hit double century in away Test
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Russia bids to avoid ban as IOC reports new test failures
- What did she do that people tied her with rope and handed over to police? - Must read
- Assam flood situation grim, close to 3 lakh remain affected
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking