Iranian patrol jet buzzes US aircraft carrier: Military
Manama: An Iranian navy patrol plane
buzzed a US aircraft carrier in international waters of the
Gulf of Oman last week but nothing came of the incident, a
senior US military officer said on Thursday.
On April 21, the eve of war games conducted by Iran`s
Revolutionary Guards in the Gulf and the strategic Strait of
Hormuz, the aircraft came as close as 915 metres to the USS
Eisenhower, the official said.
"An Iranian Navy F27 maritime patrol aircraft, flying
in international airspace, flew near USS Eisenhower ...
shortly after the aircraft carrier had finished routine
replenishment at sea operations in the Gulf of Oman," he told
agency, requesting anonymity.
He said the aircraft stayed at that distance for about
20 minutes, but pointed out that "all interaction with the
aircraft was routine and correct."
US Navy ships operating in the Gulf region "routinely
have Iranian maritime patrol aircraft fly by their positions
-- almost on a daily basis," he added.
But he said aircraft carriers do not normally interact
with Iranian aircraft because they operate in the northern
Arabian Sea, in support of operations in Afghanistan, which is
not reached by Iranian patrol flights.
"Iranian forces are aware of our presence in the
region just as we are aware of theirs. Our interaction with
the regular Iranian Navy and Air Force continues to be within
standards of maritime practise," he said.
The Eisenhower was deployed to the Middle East in
January. The US Navy`s Fifth Fleet is based in Bahrain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now