Iranian President`s press adviser jailed
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s top press adviser has been taken into custody to serve a six-month jail sentence after being convicted of "publishing materials contrary to Islamic norms."
Ali Akbar Javanfekr, who is also the head of the state-run IRNA news agency, is one of dozens of Ahmadinejad`s allies detained since April 2011 after the president briefly challenged an order from the country`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei over the choice of intelligence chief.
The semiofficial Fars news agency said security officers from the Tehran prosecutor`s office detained Ali Akbar Javanfekr today.
IRNA said Javanfekr was arrested as Ahmadinejad began his speech at the UN General Assembly in New York.
An Iranian court convicted Javanfekr last November, and also banned him from journalism activities for three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’