Iranian President`s press adviser jailed
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s top press adviser has been taken into custody to serve a six-month jail sentence after being convicted of "publishing materials contrary to Islamic norms."
Ali Akbar Javanfekr, who is also the head of the state-run IRNA news agency, is one of dozens of Ahmadinejad`s allies detained since April 2011 after the president briefly challenged an order from the country`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei over the choice of intelligence chief.
The semiofficial Fars news agency said security officers from the Tehran prosecutor`s office detained Ali Akbar Javanfekr today.
IRNA said Javanfekr was arrested as Ahmadinejad began his speech at the UN General Assembly in New York.
An Iranian court convicted Javanfekr last November, and also banned him from journalism activities for three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi