Iranian regime said to be ‘rooting’ for Obama re-election
Tehran: The Iranian regime seems to be rooting for Obama to be re-elected in the upcoming US presidential election, according to a review of online writers and bloggers in Iran.
“Many in Iran are concerned that a Republican win means war,” an engineering student from Tehran named Sharhad blogged on Saturday.
“The regime has plastered footage from war-torn Afghanistan and Iraq all over state TV, warning the people that this is what our country will look like if a Republican takes over in the US,” Sharhad wrote.
“If there’s a victory for President Obama, the 5+1 countries as well as the United States will make good with Iran,” a political blogger in Iran predicted, hours after the New York Times reported on Saturday that the US and Iranian officials had agreed ‘in principle for the first time’ to discuss Iran’s ongoing nuclear program.
According to Fox News, officials from both countries have since denied the report, but talks of potential face-to-face negotiations spread quickly in Iran.
Some in Tehran also feel that Obama would quickly enter into negotiations with the country after being re-elected.
“He will be better prepared to continue on this path to make things right with Iran after Election Day,” the political blogger wrote.
“Romney won’t have enough time between January and the upcoming Iranian election in June to facilitate negotiations between the two countries,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi