Iranian warships enter Suez Canal
Cairo: Suez Canal officials say two Iranian naval vessels have entered the strategic waterway en route for the Mediterranean Sea.
Canal officials say the ships — a frigate and a supply vessel — entered the canal early Tuesday morning and are expected to reach the Mediterranean later in the day. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they aren`t authorized to speak publicly about the matter.
This marks the first time in three decades that Iranian military ships have traveled the waterway that links the Red Sea to the Mediterranean.
Israel has made clear it views the passage as a provocation.
Iranian officials say the ships are headed to Syria for a training mission. Damascus is close ally of Iran`s hardline Islamic rulers and an arch foe of Israel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference