Iranians arrested after leaders insulted in protests
Tehran: Several people have been arrested
after Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and
revolutionary founder Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini were
insulted in anti-government protests, the prosecutor general
said on Monday.
Opposition supporters staged protests during the
annual Student Day rally on December 7, when a poster of
Khomeini was reportedly torn up, sparking angry
counter-demonstrations by regime loyalists.
"One culprit was arrested on that day. He is in jail
and the case is due to be sent to court soon," Abbas Jafari
Dolatabadi was quoted as saying by the ILNA and Mehr news
Asked if anyone had been arrested for insulting
Khamenei, he said that "those arrested are from both groups,"
"We are sure about some of them -- their offence is
proven and they have confessed," he added.
The opposition, which charges that President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad`s re-election in June was fraudulent, has faced
mounting pressure since state television aired footage of the
torn poster of Khomeini.
Main opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi has
condemned the act, but has also accused hardliners of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued