Iranians mark anniversary of shutdown of US embassy
Tehran: Thousands of Iranians on Friday held rallies nationwide to mark the anniversary of "the seizure of the US embassy in Tehran" by Iranian students 33 years ago.
In Tehran, demonstrators marched to the former US embassy complex and gathered in front of it, waving flags and banners with anti-US and anti-western slogans.
The marchers also chanted slogans against the United States and Israel.
The United States cut diplomatic relations with Iran in 1980 after a group of Iranian students captured some 60 US diplomats in 1979. In the hostage crisis, 52 of the US diplomats were held in captivity for 444 days.
On Friday, the gathering in front of the former US embassy in Tehran ended with the issuance of a statement which called for resistance against "the US and Western policies against the regional states and the Islamic republic."
The statement condemned "the US plots" against the "nuclear rights" of Iran and against the Syrian government and nation, saying that Iranians consider the United States as the main enemy of the country.
The statement also slammed a movie produced in the West that insults the Islamic values and the prophet of Islam, Mohammed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing