Iranians mark anniversary of shutdown of US embassy
Tehran: Thousands of Iranians on Friday held rallies nationwide to mark the anniversary of "the seizure of the US embassy in Tehran" by Iranian students 33 years ago.
In Tehran, demonstrators marched to the former US embassy complex and gathered in front of it, waving flags and banners with anti-US and anti-western slogans.
The marchers also chanted slogans against the United States and Israel.
The United States cut diplomatic relations with Iran in 1980 after a group of Iranian students captured some 60 US diplomats in 1979. In the hostage crisis, 52 of the US diplomats were held in captivity for 444 days.
On Friday, the gathering in front of the former US embassy in Tehran ended with the issuance of a statement which called for resistance against "the US and Western policies against the regional states and the Islamic republic."
The statement condemned "the US plots" against the "nuclear rights" of Iran and against the Syrian government and nation, saying that Iranians consider the United States as the main enemy of the country.
The statement also slammed a movie produced in the West that insults the Islamic values and the prophet of Islam, Mohammed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead