Iran`s $ 524bn budget to boost industries, curb inflation
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad submitted to Majlis (Parliament) a
5,390-trillion-rial (about USD 524 billion) budget bill for the next Iranian calendar year that is to start on March 21.
Ahmadinejad told Majlis on Sunday that his government is
aiming to reduce Iran`s reliance on oil income, and push ahead
with a major subsidy phase-out. Moreover, he said one of the
characteristics of the budget is to overcome inflation,
poverty and unemployment.
The president briefed the lawmakers on specific
characteristics of the budget bill, saying the next year`s
budget allocated over 475 trillion rials to development
Ahmadinejad urged lawmakers to swiftly approve the
package of measures, so he can continue what he refers to as
his drive to reduce social inequality.
The budget bill for the new Iranian calendar year
encompasses measures that give Ahmadinejad the mandate to
promote his major economic plans.
The budget will mainly depend on oil and gas exports
which constitute most of the government revenue as of previous
The draft budget for the next Iranian year, which begins
on March 21, was around USD 172 billion, he said. In addition
to that, the budget for state-affiliated companies was USD 352
billion. Last year the total budget amounted to USD 368
"One of the characteristics of the budget is to narrow
the gap between social classes," he said in a speech broadcast
live on television.
Ahmadinejad said the new budget was "transparent,
integrated and simple," adding that the government did not
expect the parliament to alter the bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- STOP THIS SHAME! Minor gangraped in Delhi's Jamia Nagar; suspect is juvenile
- Benefits of face scrubs for men
- In awe of the Master! WATCH how Sakshi Malik requested Sachin Tendulkar to take a selfie with her brother
- Coal imports in July dip 11% to 18 MT