`Iran’s Ahmadinejad assassination foiled in 2007`
Tehran: The Iranian Intelligence Ministry had in 2007 thwarted an attempt by the Jundullah terrorist group to assassinate Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a report said on Sunday.
According to the ministry, the Sunni militant group Jundullah plotted to assassinate Ahmadinejad during his trip to southern Iran.
Three suicide bombers had planned to blow themselves up during Ahmadinejad’s speech in the city of Iranshahr in southeastern Sistan-Baluchestan Province. However, four Intelligence Ministry operatives reportedly tracked them during the attempt. Four terrorists and four intelligence operatives were killed in the attempt, the report added.
Founded in 2003, the Jundullah group (Soldiers of God) has carried out numerous bombings, assassination attempts, and terrorist attacks in Iran.
Jundullah says it is fighting for the culture and faith of the ethnic Baluch people.
The majority of Iran`s ethnic Baluchi population live in Sistan-Baluchistan and adhere to the Sunni branch of Islam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!