`Iran’s Ahmadinejad assassination foiled in 2007`
Tehran: The Iranian Intelligence Ministry had in 2007 thwarted an attempt by the Jundullah terrorist group to assassinate Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a report said on Sunday.
According to the ministry, the Sunni militant group Jundullah plotted to assassinate Ahmadinejad during his trip to southern Iran.
Three suicide bombers had planned to blow themselves up during Ahmadinejad’s speech in the city of Iranshahr in southeastern Sistan-Baluchestan Province. However, four Intelligence Ministry operatives reportedly tracked them during the attempt. Four terrorists and four intelligence operatives were killed in the attempt, the report added.
Founded in 2003, the Jundullah group (Soldiers of God) has carried out numerous bombings, assassination attempts, and terrorist attacks in Iran.
Jundullah says it is fighting for the culture and faith of the ethnic Baluch people.
The majority of Iran`s ethnic Baluchi population live in Sistan-Baluchistan and adhere to the Sunni branch of Islam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Tributes paid to Kargil martyr in Nagland
- Four killed in Bengal floods
- Rio Olympics 2016: Stupid to talk about hockey team's medal hopes, says Viren Rasquinha
- Putting past discrimination behind, Dutee Chand targets medal at Rio Olympics
- PM Narendra Modi posts video message on Facebook; it's MUST WATCH for UP residents