Iran`s Ahmadinejad calls sanctions `ridiculous`
Tehran: President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says the West`s sanctions on Iran`s oil sector are "ridiculous."
Ahmadinejad told a group of oil officials that only "politically retarded" governments would use badly needed oil as a tool of "political warfare" in opposition to Iran`s nuclear programme. His speech was broadcast on state TV on Tuesday.
Ahmadinejad`s remarks came after Congress pressed ahead late yesterday with a new package of sanctions on Iran, expanding financial penalties and targeting Tehran`s energy and shipping sectors in the hope that economic pressure will undercut the country`s suspected nuclear weapons program.
Iran denies it seeks atomic weapons.
Iran relies on oil for some 80 per cent of its foreign revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- SFIO widens Vijay Mallya probe; former top bankers under scanner
- Priyanka Chopra, Saroj Khan honoured at Fempowerment awards
- We should protect and preserve our unity, integrity: PM on GST
- Honda Activa contributes 38% of incremental industry sales in July
- Banks not fully understanding problems of SMEs: Commerce and Industry Minister