Iran`s Ahmadinejad calls sanctions `ridiculous`
Tehran: President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says the West`s sanctions on Iran`s oil sector are "ridiculous."
Ahmadinejad told a group of oil officials that only "politically retarded" governments would use badly needed oil as a tool of "political warfare" in opposition to Iran`s nuclear programme. His speech was broadcast on state TV on Tuesday.
Ahmadinejad`s remarks came after Congress pressed ahead late yesterday with a new package of sanctions on Iran, expanding financial penalties and targeting Tehran`s energy and shipping sectors in the hope that economic pressure will undercut the country`s suspected nuclear weapons program.
Iran denies it seeks atomic weapons.
Iran relies on oil for some 80 per cent of its foreign revenue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand