Iran`s destroyer in Caspian Sea ‘to guarantee security’: Prez
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Sunday that the presence of Iran`s newly-launched destroyer in the Caspian Sea will "guarantee security" in the region.
Ahmadinejad made the remarks during a ceremony held in Iran`s northern port city of Bandar Anzali as the country launched its second domestically-made Jamaran-2 destroyer in the Caspian Sea. He hailed the construction of the destroyer as a "great achievement" for the Islamic republic.
"Iran`s (naval) presence in seas is aimed at strengthening friendship, establishing security for all, and confronting extremism and those who intend to disturb the security of ... the Caspian Sea," he was quoted as saying by Press TV.
"Without doubt, all neighboring countries are happy with Iranian Navy`s achievements because they consider these advancements as a step towards their own security in the region," the president added.
Meanwhile, Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said Sunday that the Jamaran-2 destroyer symbolizes the country`s defense industry prowess, according to Press TV.
“Jamaran-2 represents the (Iranian) defense industry`s supremacy and proves the progress of (Iran`s) Defense Ministry, especially its maritime industry," said Vahidi.
The warship has been designed and built by the experts at Iran`s Defense Ministry and has state-of-the-art navigation equipment and complex defensive systems, according to Press TV.
The destroyer, with a displacement of around 1,420 tons, is powered by a 20,000-horsepower engine with a speed of 30 knots and has the capability to carry helicopters, different surface-to- surface and surface-to-air missiles, advanced artilleries and torpedo system. It is also equipped with electronic war system.
Jamaran-2 will officially join the fleet of Iran`s Navy within the next six months after the completion of final tests.
On Sunday, another senior Iranian military official said Iran will launch another indigenous destroyer called Jamaran-3 next year in line with efforts to boost the country`s naval capabilities.
According to Deputy Head of the Industry and Research Institute of the Iranian Defense Ministry, Mohammad Eslami, the Jamaran-3 destroyer will become operational by the end of the next Iranian calendar year, which starts on March 21, 2013.
In February 2010, Iran`s Navy launched Jamaran-1 destroyer, which is equipped with modern radars and electronic warfare capabilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon