Iran`s Guard begins new land military exercises
Tehran: Iran`s Revolutionary Guard says it has begun a two-day land military exercise to upgrade its capabilities to defend the country against possible external threats.
Commander of the Guard`s ground forces Mohammad Pakpour said on comments posted on the force`s website sepahnews.com that the manoeuvres dubbed Valfajr, or Dawn, began on Sunday outside the city of Yazd in central Iran.
The Guard is Iran`s most powerful military unit.
The exercises are the latest in a series of manoeuvres held amid escalating tensions between Iran and the West over Iran`s nuclear program.
The US and Israel have not ruled out military strikes against Iran`s program, which they say aims at developing weapons technology. Iran says the program is for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"