Iran`s judicial committee rejects jail rape charges
Tehran: A special judicial committee has rejected allegations by the opposition of rape in Iranian jails, Fars news agency reported on Saturday.
The committee said in a report that Mehdi Karroubi, the leader of the opposition party Etemad Melli, could not present any proof of his allegations of rape being committed against jailed opposition supporters.
The committee proposed that considering the baseless allegations by Karroubi, legal action should be taken against the moderate cleric.
Karroubi had last month claimed some of political prisoners detained following protests over the flawed June 12 Presidential Election had been sexually abused.
The Iranian government and Parliament categorically denied the charges and even threatened Karroubi with legal consequences if he could not prove the rape charges.
Karroubi, however, several times said that he would never make any charges without having documented proof.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!