Iran’s Khamenei to decide on Strait of Hormuz
Tehran: The chairman of Iran`s Joint Chiefs of Staff says the decision over whether Tehran would block the strategic Strait of Hormuz, the passageway through which a fifth of the world`s oil flows, rests in the hands of the country`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Gen Hasan Firouzabadi says Iran has a contingency plan to close the key route, but Khamenei, as commander in chief of the armed forces, would have to make the final decision.
Firouzabadi`s comments come two weeks after the European Union enforced a total oil embargo against Iran for its refusal to halt its uranium enrichment programme.
His comments were reported by the semi-official Fars news agency today.
Iran`s Revolutionary Guard has previously warned that Tehran would order the closure if the country`s oil exports were blocked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried