Iran’s Khamenei to decide on Strait of Hormuz
Tehran: The chairman of Iran`s Joint Chiefs of Staff says the decision over whether Tehran would block the strategic Strait of Hormuz, the passageway through which a fifth of the world`s oil flows, rests in the hands of the country`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Gen Hasan Firouzabadi says Iran has a contingency plan to close the key route, but Khamenei, as commander in chief of the armed forces, would have to make the final decision.
Firouzabadi`s comments come two weeks after the European Union enforced a total oil embargo against Iran for its refusal to halt its uranium enrichment programme.
His comments were reported by the semi-official Fars news agency today.
Iran`s Revolutionary Guard has previously warned that Tehran would order the closure if the country`s oil exports were blocked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says