Iran’s Khamenei to decide on Strait of Hormuz
Tehran: The chairman of Iran`s Joint Chiefs of Staff says the decision over whether Tehran would block the strategic Strait of Hormuz, the passageway through which a fifth of the world`s oil flows, rests in the hands of the country`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Gen Hasan Firouzabadi says Iran has a contingency plan to close the key route, but Khamenei, as commander in chief of the armed forces, would have to make the final decision.
Firouzabadi`s comments come two weeks after the European Union enforced a total oil embargo against Iran for its refusal to halt its uranium enrichment programme.
His comments were reported by the semi-official Fars news agency today.
Iran`s Revolutionary Guard has previously warned that Tehran would order the closure if the country`s oil exports were blocked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday