Iran`s Larijani visits Nagasaki, calls nukes threat to humans
Nagasaki: Speaker of the Iranian Parliament Ali Larijani after arriving in Nagasaki on Saturday said that the people in the world should stand up for a nuclear-free world as it still pose a threat to humanity.
Larijani is on his first trip to the atom-bombed city and visited the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum.
Speaking through an interpreter, he told reporters, "Even a single nuclear bomb can pose a threat to humanity if it exists in this world. People in the world should stand up for a nuclear-free world."
The Iranian parliamentary leader inquired the museum`s director Yoshimitsu Taira about how long the impact of the bombing damage lasted and other questions.
After the visit to the museum, he offered flowers at a monument set up at ground zero in a park near the museum together with Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue.
Larijani, Iran`s nuclear negotiator from 2005 through 2007, has been in Japan at the invitation of the House of Representatives since Tuesday. He held talks with Foreign
Minister Katsuya Okada on a range of issues that included Iran`s nuclear development.
On February 18, the UN nuclear watchdog expressed concern that Iran may be conducting a clandestine program that could lead to the development of nuclear warheads. Western powers are leaning toward posing further sanctions against Tehran.
Iran says its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack