Iran`s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to leave for New York
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is scheduled to leave for New York on Saturday to attend UN General Assembly meet.
Ahmadinejad`s address to the UN, scheduled for Wednesday, could be for the last time as he completes his term as President next year, as per reports.
Ahmadinejad’s speech is much-awaited as Iran has been in the eye of storm over its nuclear programme.
Earlier, the speech delivered by the Iranian President amidst allegations of Holocaust led to walk-out by several other member countries.
Meanwhile, Ahmadinejad has been allowed to stay at a luxury New York hotel after a US judge rejected an Israeli suicide bombing victim’s bid to claim the reservation made by the leader.
The Holocaust-denying Iranian President has made reservations at New York’s posh Warwick Hotel on 54th Street and Sixth Avenue.
The judge ruled that the reservation could not satisfy a USD 12 million money judgment that the terror victim and former New Yorker, Stuart Hersh holds against Iran, ‘because it is not property’.
“It’s unfortunate the hotel has done the legwork of Iran, finding a hyper-technical loophole in our motion,” the New York Daily News quoted Hersh’s attorney, as saying.
Hersh suffered serious injuries in a 1997 suicide bombing in Jerusalem and obtained the judgment after Iran failed to respond to a lawsuit claiming that as a sponsor of the Hamas terrorist organization it was responsible for the attack, the report said.
Warwick Hotel lawyer Andrew Hamelsky, who urged the US judge to dismiss Hersh’s motion during lengthy legal arguments, declined to make any comments.
(With ANI Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India