Iran`s military exercise successful: Official
Tehran: Iran on Thursday successfully conducted the first phase of its military exercise in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, an official said.
"The objective of the first stage of the military exercise was to destroy targets of the hypothetical enemy on the ground," Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) spokesman Brigadier General Ali-Reza Tangsiri told reporters.
The exercise dubbed `Holy Prophet 5` coincides with the 31st anniversary of the establishment of the IRGC, the state-run IRNA news agency reported.
The war game is to demonstrate the country`s defence capabilities and determination to maintain security in the region. The IRGC`s naval, air and ground forces are taking part in the exercise.
Tangsiri announced that a new vessel designed and constructed by Iranian engineers was tested on Thursday. The Iranian Navy also test-fired a range of homemade missiles during the exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes