Iran`s Navy aims to expand presence to Antarctica
Tehran: Iran`s Navy chief on Saturday said his country was planning to expand its presence in International waters, as part of efforts to boost its military and extend its reach all the way to Antarctica.
Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said in comments reported by state Press TV today that `the move will allow the navy to raise the Iranian flag anywhere from the North to South Poles.`
Sayyari had said earlier this year that Iran wanted to put warships in international waters off the US coast "within the next few years."
Iran`s efforts have been interpreted as a response to America`s beefed-up naval deployment near Iran`s shores in the Persian Gulf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra