Iran`s Navy aims to expand presence to Antarctica
Tehran: Iran`s Navy chief on Saturday said his country was planning to expand its presence in International waters, as part of efforts to boost its military and extend its reach all the way to Antarctica.
Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said in comments reported by state Press TV today that `the move will allow the navy to raise the Iranian flag anywhere from the North to South Poles.`
Sayyari had said earlier this year that Iran wanted to put warships in international waters off the US coast "within the next few years."
Iran`s efforts have been interpreted as a response to America`s beefed-up naval deployment near Iran`s shores in the Persian Gulf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed