Iran`s nuclear programme world`s problem: Netanyahu
Jerusalem: Two days ahead of the General Elections in Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has targeted Iran over its contested nuclear agenda, saying history would not forgive those who do not stop Tehran`s atomic programme.
In a meeting with top US senators, including ex-Republican Presidential nominee John McCain, Netanyahu said, "History will not forgive those who do not stop Iran`s nuclear programme."
"Building in Jerusalem is not the world`s problem, a nuclear Iran is the world`s problem," Netanyahu, 63, said.
Netanyahu, a former commando turned conservative hardliner, portrays himself as an uncompromising tough guy over Iran issue.
The senators discussed changes in the Middle East, including the need to intensify sanctions against Iran, which continues to advance its nuclear programme, the Prime Minister`s office said.
The Premier also addressed the issue of advancing contacts between the Palestinian Authority and Hamas during the talks, details of which were not available.
Netanyahu thanked the senators for the relentless support of the Senate for the State of Israel.
Netanyahu earlier this week acknowledged that he has some differences with US President Barack Obama but played down the same saying it is not the first time that the close allies have had differences and that they haven`t come in the way of cooperation on key issues.
"Well, look, we cooperate on many things, especially on intensified security and intelligence cooperation, and I’m sure that cooperation will continue between America and Israel, especially our common goal of preventing Iran from achieving nuclear weapons," he told the Jerusalem Post in a pre-election interview.
He also appreciated Obama`s support during Israel`s Gaza operation and the support the US President and the Congress gave Israel on developing the Iron Dome anti-missile defence system.
However, he acknowledged for the first time that "Obama and I also have our differences, especially on the best way to achieve and advance a defensible peace with the Palestinians".
"I respect the President and I know that we would both like to see peace achieved in this region, even if we sometimes disagree on the best way to achieve it", he said.
"I am confident that President Obama understands that only a sovereign Israeli government can determine what Israel`s interests are," Netanyahu asserted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'