Iran`s nuclear reactor hit by `malfunction`: Official
Tehran: Iran`s Russian-built Bushehr nuclear power plant has suffered a malfunction in its main generator, the Islamic Republic`s ambassador to Moscow said on Monday.
Mahmoud Reza Sadjadi did not specify the nature of the malfunction or make clear whether it has caused the plant`s shutdown, Russia`s state Itar-TASS news agency reported.
But he stressed that this fault was not caused by the series of earthquakes that shook Iran in recent weeks.
"In close cooperation, our and Russian specialists are undertaking efforts to fix the malfunction," Sadjadi was quoted as saying.
He added that the fault "was linked to the work of the generator" and had occurred some time ago, but provided no other details.
Bushehr is Iran`s only nuclear power plant and is located on the Gulf in the southern section of the country.
The plant was officially opened in September 2011. Its initial construction was begun by Germany in the 1975 before being dropped because of Iran`s Islamic revolution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital