Iran`s Parliament drops impeachment over economy
Tehran: Iran`s parliament has abandoned its planned impeachment of a Cabinet minister over the free-fall of the country`s currency.
Iran`s parliament speaker Ali Larijani today stopped a debate on impeaching Sports and Culture Minister Mohammad Abbasi, saying some lawmakers withdrew "because of economic situation," indicating that fixing the economy was more important than political moves.
Ten lawmakers signed the original impeachment petition, the minimum number required.
The aborted move to impeach the minister reflects unease over the severe drop in the currency`s value, mostly because of Western sanctions over Iran`s suspect nuclear program.
Last week protests flared in Tehran, a rare public display of anger over economic conditions after the Iranian rial hit an all-time low of 35,500 to the dollar, dropping from 24,000 rials a few days earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Over confidence' not the reason behind Pakistan's struggle in second test: Grant Flower
- Govt trying to pass GST bill this session: Meghwal
- Complaint against JD(U) MLA for demanding Rs 20 lakh
- Black money: Willing to walk extra mile to address concerns over IDS, says Govt
- LeEco Max 2: Made for Pokémon GO smartphone