Iran`s Parliament drops impeachment over economy
Tehran: Iran`s parliament has abandoned its planned impeachment of a Cabinet minister over the free-fall of the country`s currency.
Iran`s parliament speaker Ali Larijani today stopped a debate on impeaching Sports and Culture Minister Mohammad Abbasi, saying some lawmakers withdrew "because of economic situation," indicating that fixing the economy was more important than political moves.
Ten lawmakers signed the original impeachment petition, the minimum number required.
The aborted move to impeach the minister reflects unease over the severe drop in the currency`s value, mostly because of Western sanctions over Iran`s suspect nuclear program.
Last week protests flared in Tehran, a rare public display of anger over economic conditions after the Iranian rial hit an all-time low of 35,500 to the dollar, dropping from 24,000 rials a few days earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony