Iran`s Parliament drops impeachment over economy
Tehran: Iran`s parliament has abandoned its planned impeachment of a Cabinet minister over the free-fall of the country`s currency.
Iran`s parliament speaker Ali Larijani today stopped a debate on impeaching Sports and Culture Minister Mohammad Abbasi, saying some lawmakers withdrew "because of economic situation," indicating that fixing the economy was more important than political moves.
Ten lawmakers signed the original impeachment petition, the minimum number required.
The aborted move to impeach the minister reflects unease over the severe drop in the currency`s value, mostly because of Western sanctions over Iran`s suspect nuclear program.
Last week protests flared in Tehran, a rare public display of anger over economic conditions after the Iranian rial hit an all-time low of 35,500 to the dollar, dropping from 24,000 rials a few days earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'