Iran’s Parliament Speaker arrives in Syria for talks
Damascus: Iran`s Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani arrived in the Syrian capital of Damascus on Friday for a brief visit to meet with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and other officials, sources told Xinhua.
Received Friday morning by his Syrian counterpart Jihad al- Laham, Larijani is set to meet Assad and other Syrian top officials.
Even though the aim of the visit was not immediately known, it apparently came on the heels of a conference that Iran hosted last week, which grouped some 200 opposition figures from inside Syria.
The conference in Tehran called for a cease-fire and an end to armed conflicts in the crisis-ridden country. It also opposed any foreign interference in Syria`s political affairs.
Iran has emerged as a staunch ally to the Syrian government during the 20-month-old crisis. And unlike the United States and other international players, Iran seemed to support the peaceful and political solution to Syrian crisis, according to Iranian officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons