Iran’s Parliament Speaker arrives in Syria for talks
Damascus: Iran`s Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani arrived in the Syrian capital of Damascus on Friday for a brief visit to meet with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and other officials, sources told Xinhua.
Received Friday morning by his Syrian counterpart Jihad al- Laham, Larijani is set to meet Assad and other Syrian top officials.
Even though the aim of the visit was not immediately known, it apparently came on the heels of a conference that Iran hosted last week, which grouped some 200 opposition figures from inside Syria.
The conference in Tehran called for a cease-fire and an end to armed conflicts in the crisis-ridden country. It also opposed any foreign interference in Syria`s political affairs.
Iran has emerged as a staunch ally to the Syrian government during the 20-month-old crisis. And unlike the United States and other international players, Iran seemed to support the peaceful and political solution to Syrian crisis, according to Iranian officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH