Iran’s Parliament Speaker arrives in Syria for talks
Damascus: Iran`s Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani arrived in the Syrian capital of Damascus on Friday for a brief visit to meet with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and other officials, sources told Xinhua.
Received Friday morning by his Syrian counterpart Jihad al- Laham, Larijani is set to meet Assad and other Syrian top officials.
Even though the aim of the visit was not immediately known, it apparently came on the heels of a conference that Iran hosted last week, which grouped some 200 opposition figures from inside Syria.
The conference in Tehran called for a cease-fire and an end to armed conflicts in the crisis-ridden country. It also opposed any foreign interference in Syria`s political affairs.
Iran has emerged as a staunch ally to the Syrian government during the 20-month-old crisis. And unlike the United States and other international players, Iran seemed to support the peaceful and political solution to Syrian crisis, according to Iranian officials.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday
- Delhi, Jammu, Shimla see hottest day of season; Telangana toll 178
- Rahul Gandhi to be Congress chief in 2016: Jairam Ramesh
- NDA to tread Ambedkar's path; favours quota in private sector
- EC seeks periodic reports on Bengal poll violence